[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Genesis 5: 1-32 The Genesis 5 Genealogy Foretells Rebellion, Rescue & Wrath July 30 2017″ _builder_version=”3.0.66″ background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” border_style=”solid”]
Walk Thru The Word Gen 5: 1-9 Gen 5: 1- 11 Adam’s Descendants to Noah
1This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. 2Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Mana when they were created. 3When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. 4The days of Adam after he fathered Seth were 800 years; and he had other sons and daughters. 5Thus all the days that Adam lived were 930 years, and he died. 6When Seth had lived 105 years, he fathered Enosh. 7Seth lived after he fathered Enosh 807 years and had other sons and daughters. 8Thus all the days of Seth were 912 years, and he died. 9When Enosh had lived 90 years, he fathered Kenan. 10Enosh lived after he fathered Kenan 815 years and had other sons and daughters. 11Thus all the days of Enosh were 905 years, and he died.
Walk Thru The Word Gen 5: 12- 24 Adam’s Descendants to Noah
12When Kenan had lived 70 years, he fathered Mahalalel. 13Kenan lived after he fathered Mahalalel 840 years and had other sons and daughters. 14Thus all the days of Kenan were 910 years, and he died. 15When Mahalalel had lived 65 years, he fathered Jared. 16Mahalalel lived after he fathered Jared 830 years and had other sons and daughters. 17Thus all the days of Mahalalel were 895 years, and he died. 18When Jared had lived 162 years, he fathered Enoch. 19Jared lived after he fathered Enoch 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 20Thus all the days of Jared were 962 years, and he died. 21When Enoch had lived 65 years, he fathered Methuselah. 22Enoch walked with Godb after he fathered Methuselah 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23Thus all the days of Enoch were 365 years. 24Enoch walked with God, and he was not,c for God took him.
Walk Thru The Word Gen 5: 25- 32
25When Methuselah had lived 187 years, he fathered Lamech. 26Methuselah lived after he fathered Lamech 782 years and had other sons and daughters. 27Thus all the days of Methuselah were 969 years, and he died. 28When Lamech had lived 182 years, he fathered a son 29and called his name Noah, saying, “Out of the ground that the LORD has cursed, this one shall bring us reliefd from our work and from the painful toil of our hands.” 30Lamech lived after he fathered Noah 595 years and had other sons and daughters. 31Thus all the days of Lamech were 777 years, and he died. 32After Noah was 500 years old, Noah fathered Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
The Genesis 5: 1-32 Genealogy Foretells Rebellion, Rescue & Wrath
This is the process: man sins and rebels. God reaches out to rescue us. Once the rescue is effected, God’s wrath falls on those who rebelled reject Him. In Gen 5 we see:
Adams Sinful Sons Rebel Against God (Gen. 4:17- 23)
- Lamech Launches polygamy, kills and boasts of vengeance
- Cain’s line ceases during The Flood.The Genealogy foretells God’s rescue Click To Tweet
The Genealogy foretells God’s rescue
- 4 Generations Warned About the Wrath of Noah’s Flood, during the 120 year building of the ark.
God’s wrath falls on the faithless
- Noah’s Flood certainly will fall – as also will God’s wrath detailed in Revelation
Our mission is to report / Proclaim The Rescue and foretell the coming wrath (James 2:10-11)
Judgement falls On those who reject mercy
Genetics & the long life of early people If it is okay for Cain to have found a wife from among his sisters, why did God later forbid this practice in Lev. 20:17?
- Blood strains are healthy during the early generations of a breed, so matting with
- Siblings is acceptable. Once the strains weaken over a series of generations, however, diseases find much more opportunity to manifest themselves when congenital blood lines are mixed.
- Most human diseases are genetic, caused when malformations of the human genetic code occur in the multiplication of errors from duplication. Evidence of the extremely healthy nature of the 1st family’s bloodline is the fact that the first people lived so long God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” 4But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
The Long life of the Earliest Humans Refutes the lie of Evolution
Literary works throughout the cultures of Mesopotamia detail the long life of its ancient inhabitants.
Sumerian King Lists, which date between 2000 and 2250 BC, name 8 kings, who ruled before a great flood, each of which reigned between 18,600 years and 43,200 years – though they probably did not count a year by our calendar.
By comparison, the Genesis account of Methuselah living to 969 years seems much more realistic.
Psalm 139:14 says we are fearfully and wonderfully made. What attests to this fact is that we live 70 and more years even now despite billions upon billions of duplications of the genetic code. Compared to the earliest humans, our lives are shortening —not getting longer. This validating evolution theory.
God Limits Human Life Span to spare us from suffering sin
Gen God Limited Human Life Span to spare us from our sin and toil. Gen. 6:3 “the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with (not remain in) man forever, for he is mortal (corrupt); his days will be a 120 years.”
Ps. 90:10 The length of our days is seventy years — or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span (they often are filled with) is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away.
Adams Sinful Sons Rebel Against God (Gen. 4:17- 24)
Gen. 4:17 The story of Cain’s line begins here and ends at the flood. (Canaan is where Ham and his descendants lived. (Gen 9:8 & Gen 10:6.)
Genesis 4: 17- about rebellion runs rampant, as …
- 4:19-21 Lamech launches polygamy
- 4:20 People begin raising livestock
- 4:21 The arts flourish as people play instruments.
- 4:22 People forge tools out of bronze and iron.
- 4:23 Lamech says…I have killed… a young man for injuring me.” Gen. 4:24 Lamech boasts “If Cain is avenged seven times, then Lamech 77 times,” placing himself above God
Contrast Lament’s boast that he will kill 77 people for every one person who insults him, with Christ’s expressing to Peter that His forgiveness covers 70×7 x the number of days we live.
The genealogy foretells God’s rescue
A study of the original roots of the names in the Genealogy of Genesis 5 yields some fascinating insights about human and church history.
What we learn is …
- Man’s sin will reach a particular fill-point (The Amorites provide an example of this in Gen 15: 16
- God foretells through Methuselah the timing of His wrath. (Rev 6:16 & 14:10 – the Wrath of the Lamb)
- God will put Noah on the Ark prior to God’s judgement falling in the form of rain.
- God will rapture the church prior to His wrath falling
Adam and Seth
Gen 5: 1-4 and Luke 3: 38 tell us that Adam was the direct creation and son of God and made in God’s likeness, and Seth was the son of Adam and made in Adam’s image, which at this point was fallen into sin.
Gen 5: 1-4 1This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him (adam) in the likeness of god. 2Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Mana when they were created. 3When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him seth.
Luke 3: 38 38the son of Enos, the son of seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.
Adam – the son of god – Seth – the son of Adam – Enoch – The son of sinful seed
Adam – Gen 5: 1-5 The first name, Adam, comes from adomah, and means “man.” As the first man, that seems straightforward enough.
Seth – Gen 5: 3-8 Adam’s son was named Seth, which means “appointed.” When he was born Eve said, “For God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.”
Enosh -Gen 5: 6-11 Seth’s son was called Enosh, which means “mortal, frail, miserable.” It is from the root anash: to be incurable; used of a wound, grief, woe, sickness, or wickedness. (= miserably wicked)
Kenan continues the sinful nature’s dirge – Mahalalel Praises & Blesses God jared – signifies “coming down”
Kenan – Gen 5: 9-14 Enosh’s son was named Kenan, from which can mean “sorrow,” dirge,” (elegy or lament).”
Gen 6:5 ‘ The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.’
Mahalalel – Gen 5: 12-17 Kenan’s son was Mahalalel, from mahalal, which = “blessed” or “praise”; and El, = God. Thus, Mahalalel means “the Blessed god.” Often Hebrew names included El, as Dani-el, “God is my Judge,” Nathani-el, “Gift of God,” etc.
Jared – Gen 5: 15-20 Mahalalel’s son was named Jared, from the verb yaradh, = “shall come down.”
- Some suggest this might allude to the “Sons of God” who “came down” to corrupt the daughters of men, resulting in the Nephilim (“Fallen Ones”) of Genesis 6: 1-5.
Enoch walks with God -& begins preaching & prophesying – Methuselah = the Mercy of God’s Timing
Enoch – Gen 5: 19-24 Jared’s son was named Enoch, = “the commencement of teaching (about God).” He was the 1st of 4 generations of preaching-prophets. In fact, the earliest recorded prophecy was by Enoch in the name he gave Methuselah.
When Enoch was 65, “he walked with God,” and was given a prophecy that when his God-fearing son died, the judgment of the flood would fall.
Methuselah Gen 5: 21-27 Enoch named his son to reflect this prophecy. Methuselah comes from two roots: muth, a root that means “death”5 ; and from shalach, which means “to bring,” or “to send forth.” Thus, the name Methuselah signifies, “his DEATH shall bring.”
God’s wrath falls on the faithless
Methuselah – Gen 5: 21-27 The Flood of Noah came after four generations of warnings, in the year that Methuselah died. Methuselah was 187 when he had Lamech, and lived 782 years more. Lamech had Noah when he was 182.7 The Flood came in Noah’s 600th year.8 187 + 182 + 600 = 969, Methuselah’s age when he died.9
Methuselah’s life reflects God’s mercy as the coming judgment of the flood was delayed until his lifetime ended. That he lived the longest in the Bible, indicates the extreme extensiveness of God’s mercy.
Lamech – Gen 5: 26-31 Methuselah’s son was named Lamech, a root still evident today in our own English word, “lament” or “lamentation,” and also suggests “despairing.”
Noah Gen 5: 29-32- Lamech, of course, is the father of Noah, which is derived from nacham, “to bring relief” or “comfort,” as Lamech himself explains.
The meaning of the genealogy is in the roots of the names
The Genealogy Foretells The Gospel
Man’s sin appoints him to be mortal, miserable [and to live in] sorrow.
The Blessed God shall come down teaching [God’s truth].
His death shall bring the despairing rest and comfort!
Our mission is to foretell the coming wrath
|Enoch||Mortal & Miserable|
|Mahalalel||The Blessed God|
|Jared||Shall Come Down|
|Methuselah||His Death Shall Bring|
|Noah||Relief, Rest, Comfort|
Man’s sin does not surprise God, who prior to The Flood, maps out how sin will increase under satan’s initiative.
God’s foreknowledge is fulfilled and parallels the Gospel by:
- Placing the Believing-Obedient Remnant of Noah and his family on the ark, a prepared vessel of rescue.
- Forgiving our sin through the sacrifice of Christ whose finished work covers our iniquities 70×7 times a day x the number of days we will live!
- rapturing (transporting to Heaven) us, His Church, prior to the outpouring of His wrath, which will take place in Revelation. (1Cor. 15: 51-55, 1Thess. 4:13-18, Rev 1:20, Rev 4:1)
1Cor. 15: 51-55, 50I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 54When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:
“Death is swallowed up in victory.” 55“O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”
1Thess. 4:13-18 13But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Rev 1:20 As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.
Rev 4: 5 From the throne came flashes of lightning and the rumble of thunder. And in front of the throne were seven torches with burning flames. This is the sevenfold Spirit of God.
The Rapture is the millenarian teaching) transport (a believer) from earth to heaven at the Second Coming of Christ.
The millennium – a period of a thousand years, especially when calculated from the traditional date of the birth of Christ.
- (the millennium) Christian Theology the prophesied thousand-year reign of Christ at the end of the age (Rev. 20:1–5).
- (the millennium) a utopian period of good government, great happiness, and prosperity.
The Salvation Message = “Sin, Righteousness & Judgment” …
- Our message must be consistent with the work of the Holy Spirit as expressed in John 16: 8-11.
- John 16:8 When the comforter (Holy Spirit) comes he will convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment.
- 9 – “Sin because men don’t believe in me” (Christ). The sin that sends to Hell is unbelief! (keeping in mind “faith w/o works is dead” Jas 2:17.)
- 10 – “Righteousness because I (Jesus) go to the Father”
- Since we won’t physically see Jesus, the Holy Spirit must enlighten and remind us of who Christ is. We can have Christ’s righteousness imputed to us.
- 11 – “Judgment – because the prince of this world (Satan, Eph. 2:2) stands condemned.”
- And we do not have to participate in the condemnation Satan will suffer. (Matt 25:41- “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.)
Enoch Walked with God (Gen 5:22)
Genesis 5:22 And Enoch walked with God signifying God was “pleased to have Enoch accompany Him, and Enoch was pleased to be in God’s presence (in contrast to Adam & Eve hiding from God in Gen 3:8).
The walk is the process of our faith journey during which God purifies our hearts and makes us more pleasing to Him.
Doxology (A Praise to God!) We walk with God, trusting He will support us and can keep us clean before Him!
Jude 1:24 24Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all timeh and now and forever. Amen.
Thank you God for being a God who spares us, Your children from Your wrath. God please work steadfast faithfulness in us so we
- Do not lean on our own understanding (Prov 3: 5-6)
- Know You as You reveal Yourself through Scripture!
- Obey Your Will even when we are unsure of outcomes.
- Step out of the shadowy shame of our shortcomings into the achievements Your Holy Spirit motivates.
- To be all You want us to be, as we trust Jer 29: 11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
To view the recorded message, go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9mZHs9gy_s