Today’s Message Is: God’s Post Flood Precepts Provide Order for Our Lives (Gen. 9)
Walk Thru The Word for Today: Genesis 9: 1 – 6 ESV
1And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. 2The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. 3Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. 4But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. 5And for your lifeblood I will require a reckoning: from every beast I will require it and from man. From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man. 6“Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.
Genesis 9: 7 – 11 ESV
Genesis 9: 7-11 7And you, a be fruitful and multiply, increase greatly on the earth and multiply in it.”
8Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, 9“Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, 10and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. 11I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.”
Genesis 9: 12 – 16 ESV
Genesis 9: 12-16 12And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: 13I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, 15I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”
Genesis 9: 17 – 21 ESV
Genesis 9: 17-21 17God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”
18The sons of Noah who went forth from the ark were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.) 19These three were the sons of Noah, and from these the people of the whole earth were dispersed.b
20Noah began to be a man of the soil, and he planted a vineyard.c 21He drank of the wine and became drunk and lay uncovered in his tent.
Genesis 9: 22 – 27 ESV
Genesis 9: 17-21 22And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside. 23Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned backward, and they did not see their father’s nakedness. 24When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, 25he said, “Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be to his brothers.” 26He also said, “Blessed be the LORD, the God of Shem; and let Canaan be his servant. 27May God enlarge Japheth, d and let him dwell in the tents of Shem, and let Canaan be his servant.”
Genesis 9: 28-29 ESV
28After the flood Noah lived 350 years. 29All the days of Noah were 950 years, and he died.
Message Map: Genesis 9:1-29 Post Flood Precepts provide order for Our Lives
- God re-declares Man’s dominion
- Gen 1: 28-31, Gen 2:5 & Gen 9: 1-3
- MAN IS MANDATED TO MULTIPLY
- GOD PROVIDES FOOD FOR MAN TO BE FRUITFULLY FULFILLED
- MAN MISHANDLES DOMINION BY ABORTION
- SUSTAINABILITY SLANDERS THE GOODNESS OF GOD
- God’s Precepts Provide Protection Our Lives
- We bomb out if we eat blood
- Capital Punishment is mandated for Murder
- We testify to how “God Teaches Us The best way to live!”
- God gives new chances to fill us with the spirit so we can live his way.
In Gen 8-9 God’s 7 Provisions for our preservation are:
- Gen 8: 20 Noah rightly worships The One True God (= 10 Commands 1 & 2)
- Gen 8:22 God Secures the 4 seasons of a) Spring = “seedtime” and 2) Fall = “harvest”, 3) winter = “cold” and 4) heat = “summer” and, day and night,
- Gen 9:1 God Mandates We MULTIPLY.
- Gen 9: 2-3 & 7-11 God Declares Man’s dominon.
- Gen 9: 4 God’s Buffers against Consuming blood.
- Gen 9:1-3 God Mandates Capital Punishment for murder
- God’s rainbow Reassures the whole earth won’t flood again
These 7 precepts are for a) Noah b) Noah and his family, c) all the people who will repopulate the earth, d) future Israel. _______
Gen 9: 2-3 God Declares Man’s Dominion
Gen 9: 2-3 The fear and dread of you shall be upon every animal that lives [which] shall be food for you. The green plants, and everything means creation can be used for both service and food. (Acts 10:9-16, God told Peter to eat. Gen 1:28-31, Gen 2:5-9 )
When God Says Everything, He Means Everything
Acts 10: 9-16 9The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.” 16This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.”
God wanted Peter to eat everything for 2 reasons: 1) The food, as part of the ceremonial law, was declared clean, as the ceremonial law was designed to reveal Christ, which was fulfilled at His death, burial and resurrection! and 2) God was sending Peter to minister to Cornelius and his Gentile household, and God did not want ceremonial food restrictions confusing the message of the Gospel of Salvation by Grace alone, made proficient upon our confession of faith, independent of ceremonial laws.
Mark is The Gospel Peter dictated to Mark. Peter explains that he got the message from Acts 10 in a parenthetical element the Holy Spirit has him include in Mark 7: 14- 23 in a passage about “What Defiles a Person.” 14And he called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: 15There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him. ”e 17And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. 18And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, 19since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?”f (Thus he declared all foods clean.) 20And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. 21For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. 23All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”
Matthew 15: 10-20 Also shows us Peter’s and the disciples’ learning curve on this subject regarding that what a person eats has no bearing on their Spiritual standing before God. What Defiles a Person? 10And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 12Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13He answered, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up. 14Let them alone; they are blind guides.c And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” 15But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” 16And he said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled?d 18But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. 20These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”
Colossians 2: 16 – 23 Let No One Disqualify You 16Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. 18Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions,d puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, 19and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God. 20If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— 21“Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” 22(referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? 23These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.
People today can adhere to dietary restrictions — even ones that come from the Torah — should realize they are doing it voluntarily, as there is no compulsion from the Lord for doing so. In fact, there more or less is a mandate from God to do the opposite and not restrict oneself from any form of food. Of course, one can chose to do so for various health reasons, but one should not think they are in some way providing mandated service to God by doing so. If you chose to do it, you may consider it like your own special fast you feel God is directing you to adhere to – but it can in no way be considered a general mandate of all Christians.
You are good with God if you eat everything (except blood), and you can be good with God if you feel He is leading you to self-restrict from certain foods. There is no binding lawful restriction for eating or not eating.
- Gen 1:28-31, God gives man dominion over creation. 31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.
- Gen 2:5-9 man’s dominion is good because it cultivates the earth, and stabilizes creation.
- God instituted man’s dominion prior to Adam and Eve’s Fall in Gen 3.
- Gen 9:1-3 God confirms man’s dominion after the Flood
- God restrains creatures so that though now and then they may hurt us, they do not combine together to rise up in rebellion against man’s dominion.
Gen 9:1 MAN IS MANDATED TO MULTIPLY
Genesis 9: 1 1And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and MULTIPLY (increase greatly in number, grow in considerable abundance) and fill (completely cover or overflow) the earth,” is …
- a command or mandate that God expects people to obey.
- evidence that abortion is rebellion against God.
- indication that God made a world that can sustain the ever increasing population of humans. (Gen 1: 28-31 & Gen 2:5-9)
- God’s provision for the earth to function well.
From the LCF Message “God Sends Us to Serve” (4-2-17)
In Acts 15, James presides over the Council at Jerusalem, and appears to be the chief pastor of Bishop of the Christian Church, that determined Gentile converts do not have to adhere to any of the Old Covenant system of activities that tutored us to understand that we need to be saved by faith in the work of the Cross by virtue of God’s grace.
Gal 2:16 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
Gal 3:24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.)
In Acts 15 The Jerusalem Council Decided
- Acts 15: 1-5 – Controversy over Circumcision
- Acts 15: 6-11 – Peter: “The Gentiles are saved by grace, and should not bear a yoke neither these converted Hebrews nor their fathers could bear and keep.
- Acts 15: 12 – Barnabas & Paul relate the signs and wonders God had done through them confirming & validating ministry to the Gentiles.
- Acts 15: 13-21 – James’ judges that no burden will be laid upon the Gentiles except they be saved by grace and they are to keep the 10 Commandments.
- Acts 15: 20-29 – The Council writes a letter under James’ direction, stating converts should abstain from 1) the things polluted by idols, 2) sexual immorality, and 3) what has been strangled, and from blood.
- Acts 15: 30-35 – Judas & Silas spread this letter as well as & Paul and Barnabas who continue teaching the churches. (=Universal Commands)
God Buffers Us From consuming blood
Gen 9:4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood (visibly showing).
Through this provision God communicates:
- Blood must not be looked upon as a common thing,
- Blood made atonement for sin
- The life of the sacrifice atoned for the life of the sinner.
- Blood speaks to God and He appropriates it as the price to ransom men’s souls.
(Gen 4:10, Lev 8:5 & 17:10-16, Num 18:17, 1Sam 7:9, 11:15, 2Sam 23:16 and Heb 9:22)
God mandates Capital Punishment for murdering Man Who is made in God’s image
That God “will require a reckoning (an accounting) from whoever (beast or man) sheds the blood of man informs us:
- God made man in His own image.
- God values human life above all. The mission of human life matters most! (John 10:10)
- Reckoning means God wants man and animals held accountable for attacking people.
- God delegates to man the obligation to administer His justice code/system.
True or False: God expects man, who is made in His image to reflect the dominion and justice God will administer at judgement.
The Rainbow Reassures US
In Gen 9: 12-16: The rainbow…
- reassures that Noah and family are safe from ever losing everyone they’ve known again in a catastrophic world-wide flood.
- is evidence God voluntarily relinquishes His right to administer wrath by again flooding the whole world and destroying all life that way.
- repudiates that Noah’s Flood was only a local occurrence. The rainbow’s presence following each local flood, is evidence the first flood was world-wide catastrophic.
- The fact that there never has been another world wide flood is evidence that the Rainbow Promise is holding firm. For though there may be local floods here and there, God won’t flood the whole earth again! Saying Noah’s Flood only was local indicts God as a liar. 9: 20-21 Noah is a good man who makes a MistakeIn Gen 9: 20-21: Noah was a good man and father who labored to raise His kid’s right, so they were redeemed through the Flood.
Ham’s sin therefore is that he double crosses and publishes the fault of a parent, whom he is duty-bound to honor.
Gen 9: 22-24 Ham Hassled Noah’s Nakedness
In Gen 9: 22-24: Ham, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside. When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, 25he said, “Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be to his brothers.” Ham sinned, yet his son, Canaan gets cursed because …
- Noah realized something terribly indignant had been done to him – such as a homosexual act.
- Canaan is cursed because he is the offspring of Ham, and has Ham’s ignoble nature.
- Ham had relations with the wife Noah married, during the 350 years he lived after the Flood, and Canaan is the illegitimate offspring.
- Uncovering being the nakedness is a euphemism for having sexual relations. Noah, apparently got drunk and uncovered himself, but Ham took advantage of this situation and did something that resulted in his being cursed in a prophecy.
- Lev 18:7-8 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, which is the nakedness of your mother; she is your mother, you shall not uncover her nakedness. You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father’s wife; it is your father’s nakedness. Leviticus 18:14 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father’s brother, that is, you shall not approach his wife; she is your aunt.
- God visits the iniquities of the parents onto the children to the 3rd and 4th generation. (Exodus 20:5 & 34:7, Deut 5:9 Num 14:18
- Numbers 14:18 NLT The LORD is slow to anger and filled with unfailing love, forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. But he does not excuse the guilty. He lays the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected–even children in the third and fourth generations.’
- Exodus 20: 5 You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected–even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me.
- Exodus 34:7 I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations. I forgive iniquity, rebellion, and sin. But I do not excuse the guilty. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children and grandchildren; the entire family is affected–even children in the third and fourth generations.”
- Deuteronomy 5:9 You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected–even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me.
- Genesis 35:22 While Israel lived in that land, Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father’s concubine. And Israel heard of it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve. As a result Gen.
- 49:3-4 says, lost his preeminent birthright for that sin. 3“Reuben, you are my firstborn, my might, and the first fruits of my strength, preeminent in dignity and preeminent in power. 4Unstable as water, you shall not have preeminence, because you went up to your father’s bed; then you defiled it—he went up to my couch!”
But assuming Ham’s sin is mocking Noah while he was in a compromised state, the Expositor’s Bible says – Noah’s sin brought to light the character of his three sons-the coarse irreverence of Ham, the dignified delicacy and honour of Shem and Japheth. The bearing of men towards the sins of others is always a touchstone of character.
Before exposing another, think first whether your own conduct could bear a similar treatment, whether you have never done the thing you wish stays concealed, said the thing you would blush to hear repeated, or thought the thought you could not bear another to read.
As Christians we’ve learned from rude experience the slipperiness of this world’s ways, and our own vulnerability to fall. May God continue to shed grace in our hearts and give us the disposition to avail ourselves of it, so we are regenerated in any holiness that overcomes.
Noah’s sons spread throughout the earth
- The Hamitic races, of which Canaan was one, have always been under subjection either from bad leadership or by foreign enemies, as is the case in Egypt and Africa to this day. In Biblical times Jos 9:23 and Jud 1:28, 30, 33, and 35, record Canaan’s servitude —from operating contrary to and on the wrong side of God’s plan.
- The Semitic races have been the source of religious light and teaching to the world. God has been known in their tents. Of Gen 9:26 John Wesley says “Shem obtains the blessing conferred on Abraham and his seed. Heb 11:16 says, “The God of heaven was not ashamed to be called their God.” Shem is sufficiently recompensed for his respect to his father that the Lord himself says, “I will be your God.” This blessing also is a sufficiency conferred on all who receive Christ as the atonement for their sins. Christ is more than an even trade for all our services and all challenges we endure and overcome for His name.
- The Japhetic races are the great colonizers and populators of the world, overflowing their own boundaries, and participating in the religion and obtaining the subsequent blessings of the Shemites, they largely became Christianized Western Civilization.
- Wesley 9:27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem – His seed shall be so numerous and so victorious, that they shall be masters of the tents of Shem, which was fulfilled when the people of the Jews, the most eminent of Shem’s race, were tributaries to the Grecians first, and after to the Romans, both of Japhet’s seed. This also speaks of the conversion of the Gentiles, and the grafting of them into the kingdom of God. That Japheth shall dwell in the tents of Shem
- That is, Jews and Gentiles shall be united together in the gospel – fold: after many of the Gentiles shall have been proselyted to the Jewish religion, both shall be one in Christ, Eph 2:14, 15. When Japheth joins with Shem, Canaan falls before them both: when strangers become friends, enemies become servants.
- Note the true Japhetic Christian West of Western Europe and North America, became the inventors of the goods and services that brought modern progress. Japheth’s descendants also included the Indo-Asian-European races, of the world.
Our challenge is to HONOR God by reminding the world of the WISDOM of His post Flood provisions, and how Christ can help us fulfill them.
The precepts God gave Noah are written on men’s hearts. Rom 2:15 They (Gentiles/people without God’s law) show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them.
Since, however, our consciences can be seared (1Tim 4:2), which means our spiritual nerve endings can be cauterized, people need the Holy Spirit’s conviction (John 16:8) to keep us right with God and walking in His straight and narrow way, with God. (Matt 7:14)
1Tim 4:2 KJV – Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Tim 4:2 NAS – by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
1Tim 4:2 NAS – Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.
1Tim 4:2 ESV – through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared,
Gouverneur Morris wrote Observation on Government, Applicable to the Political State of France, 1792:
“Religion is the only solid basis of good morals; therefore education should teach the precepts of religion, and the duties of man toward God …
Provision should be made for maintaining divine worship as well as education…
Democrat candidate for President, Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan, stated in his speech “The Prince of Peace” (New York Times, Sept. 7, 1913):
“A religion which teaches personal responsibility to God gives strength to morality. There is a powerful restraining influence in the belief that an all-seeing eye scrutinizes every thought and word and act of the individual.”
American Minute 1-22-17
General Douglas MacArthur warned in a speech to the Salvation Army, December 12, 1951, stating:
“History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline.
There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.”
American Minute 1-27-17
We also need to remind the people of our world that God gives new chances to fill us with His Spirit so we can live his way.
May God Bless His Work Through Us and Reestablish Our Beloved United States of America to its former God-Consciousness!
Let’s Pray …
To view the recorded message, go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWfqPCaDaaY