(1) Walk Thru The Word: Romans 9: 19–23 (ESV)
God shows the power of His wrath and the patience of His Mercy
19You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—
(2) Walk Thru The Word: Romans 9: 24-26 (ESV)
God Calls his Remnant from among Jews & gentiles; God spares societies thru a remnant that saves it from becoming like Sodom & Gomorrah
24even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? 25As indeed he says in Hosea,
“Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’
and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’”
26“And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’
there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’”
(3) Walk Thru The Word: Romans 9: 27-29 (ESV)
For the Sake of God’s Remnant Societies are Saved from Going The Way of Sodom & Gomorrah
27And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved, 28for the Lord will carry out his sentence upon the earth fully and without delay.” 29And as Isaiah predicted,
“If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring, we would have been like Sodom and become like Gomorrah.”
(4) Walk Thru The Word: Romans 9: 30-33 (ESV)
The Remnant Rests In A righteousness of Faith
30What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. 32Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33as it is written,
“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
a 3 Or brothers and sisters
b 16 Greek not of him who wills or runs
c 27 Or children of Israel
d 31 Greek a law of righteousness
(5) Message map — Rom. 9: 19 – 33
The Book of Romans: Session 15
“God’s remnant rests in a righteousness of faith”
- Rom 9: 22-23 22God shows Resistors the power of His wrath and the Remnant the patience of His Mercy
- Rom 9: 24-26 God Calls his Remnant from among Jews & gentiles
- Rom 9: 27-29 The Remnant is the offspring of The Lord of Hosts & For their sake societies as saved from being Sodom & Gomorrah
- The Remnant Relies Upon & rests in A Righteousness That Comes by faith.
(6) Rom 9: 19-20 God shows the power of His wrath & the patience of His Mercy
22Rom 9: 19–23 19You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist (openly complete and stand against) his will?”
20But who are you, O man, to answer (forcefully declare one’s personal conviction in opposition to) back to God?
When the molded stand before God, our molder we will …
- be aware of our impotence, ignorance o
- realize God’s prerogative in appointing believing vessels to honour, and unbelieving vessels to dishonor
- experience how 21the potter has absolute right and power over the clay,
(7) (NIN) Rom 9: 22-23
God shows the power of His wrath & the patience of His Mercy
Rom 9: 19 – 23 tell us When the rebellious stand before God, they will/will not
Let’s try to enter into God’s mindset regarding Rom 19-23 in relation to the context of His Word by taking this True/False quiz.
- If God is not willing for any to perish (Matthew 18:14 & 2 Peter 3:9) ……T/F
- Does God give us free will. Example – Gen 4: 6 God appealed to but did not assault Cain to prevent him from sinning by killing Able ….…. …, T/F
- God held Cain accountable for his sin. …………………………….…….…T/F
- Since God is everywhere always present, He knows who is resisting and who is submitting. …………………………………………………….………T/F
- So God chooses to allow people to go their own way, despite Him having written His law upon our hearts (Rom 2:15) ………………………. …, T/F
- God gives us the Great Commission to go into all the world and exercise Rom 10:17 by telling people of Him, so they can develop faith…….……T/F
- God shows the power of His wrath against sin ……………………………T/F
- God is patient with the sinners whom He will hold accountable.…………T/F
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all …
Matthew 18:14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.
Rom 2:15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them
Numbers 14:18. The Lord is long-suffering and of great mercy forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty.
(8) Rom 9: 24-26 God Calls his Remnant from among Jews & gentiles
In Rom 9:24-26 24even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the gentiles? (John 4:22 & Luke 2:32)
John 4:22 NLT: “You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. (God is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob)
Luke 2:32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel.” Rest = the blessed rest from toils and troubles looked for in the age to come by the true worshippers of God and true Christians, who trust Christ for salvation now and in the future. Click To Tweet
Noah Webster’s 1828 Dict. says Gentiles =
- a pagan; a worshipper of false gods;
- any person not a Jew or a Christian; a heathen
- Hebrews used “goim” or nations, for all who had not received the true faith, and were not circumcised.
- Christians translated goim by the Latin “gentes”, and imitated the Jews in giving the name “gentiles” to all nations who were not Jews nor Christians.
- In civil affairs, the denomination was given to all nations who were not Romans.
(9) Rom 9: 27-29 For the Sake of God’s Remnant Societies are saved from Going The Way of Sodom & Gomorrah
Rom 9: 27-27And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant (NW 1828 Dict. = “Residue; that which is left after the separation, removal or destruction of a part) of them will be saved.
Sodom & Gomorrah are examples of God’s sudden judgement
Rom 9: 28 28for the Lord will carry out his sentence (the declaration of judgement against those convicted of a crime) upon the earth fully (dispatched thoroughly, completely) and without delay (decisively swift).” 29And as Isaiah predicted,
Rom 9: 27-29 For the Sake of God’s Remnant Societies are saved from Going The Way of Sodom & Gomorrah (Gen 18:22-23)
Gen 18: 22-32 Abraham Interceded for Sodom, which God said he would not destroy if there were only 10 of the elect abiding there.
(10) Rom 9: 29 The Remnant is the offspring of The Lord of Hosts
Rom 9: 29 The Remnant is the offspring/decendents (of the “born again” seed that reproduces) of The Lord of Hosts =
- Lord of the Sabbath armies
- Israel’s armies – as those who under the leadership and protection of Jehovah
- armies who maintain Jehovah’s cause in war
Rom 9:8 it is not the children of the flesh (human kindred) who are the children of God, but the children of the promise (those who put faith in Christ’s Finished Work on The Cross) are counted (accredited, imputed, regarded by God) as offspring (are adopted as the seed of Abraham — heirs of God’s promise through him and the patriarchs).
The Remnant are the true salt and light Christians (Matt 5:13, Lk 14:34, Mk 9:50).
(11) Rom 9: 30-33 Jews & gentiles = the remnant WHO rely upon the cross
Rom 9:30-33 The true remnant understands the difference between ceremonial law, which officially ended in AD 33 when Christ died, and the veil in the temple was torn, signifying man’s sin was atoned, and we could enter the holy of holies (Heb 4:16).
The Remnant understanding the CEREMONIAL law engaged one in a series of actions that symbolized our need of salvation by putting faith in the coming Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ.
The ceremonial law pointed to how God’s Messiah, would
- be virgin born
- live a sinless life
- die a sinless
- be bodily Bodily resurrected
- Seated at the right hand of God.
(12) Rom 9:30-33 the remnant releases our Lives to be conformed to Christ
The Remnant’s faith involves us becoming beneficiaries of God’s compassion & mercy through The “law of faith” (Rom 3:27) = the principles & rules to which God has bound Himself, upon our conviction to believe in, accept and rely upon Christ for salvation
God’s moral law, which is eternal., and is to what the Holy Spirit conforms our lives. Rom 7:25 “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.”
Note Rom 7:25 makes a distinction between the “mind of Christ and the flesh. The mind of Christ acts consistently with God’s eternal, moral law.
(13) Rom 9:30-33 Jews & gentiles = Believing “Who-so-evers
that make up the remnant resting in Faith.
Rom 9:30-33 The Remnant Relies Upon And Rests In A Righteousness that comes by faith.
In contrast to how Rom 9:32 says, most Israelites “did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33as it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; (caught up by their own personal bias and carnal thinking, thy responded to Christ in error)
and whoever believes (responds to the Holy Spirit’s persuasion to put their trust) in him, will not be put to shame (suffer humiliation from placing hope in an empty promise).”
The Remnant does not stumble (recoil from Jesus as the Messianic of John 14:6, way, truth and life, only means of salvation)
The Remnant is settled in Christ, enjoying the Heb 4:9 Sabbath rest of God.
Hebrews 4:9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
Rest = the blessed rest from toils and troubles looked for in the age to come by the true worshippers of God and true Christians, who trust Christ for salvation now and in the future.
14) Walk Thru The Word:
READ TOGETHER OUT LOUD
Jeremiah 18: 1-11
The Potter Shapes To Build Up or Break Down Nations, but we can repent and shape our destiny.
1Jeremiah 18: 1-11 1The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: 2“Arise, and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will let you hear my words.” 3So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. 4And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do.
5Then the word of the LORD came to me: 6“O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? declares the LORD. Behold, like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it. 9And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it. 11Now, therefore, say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: ‘Thus says the LORD, Behold, I am shaping disaster against you and devising a plan against you. Return, everyone from his evil way, and amend your ways and your deeds.’
Let’s Pray that God ReAwakens, ReInvigorates & ReEstablishes Us in Our Calls In Christ!