[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”“The Magi & Herod Represent Two Responses To The Messiah” Matt 2 Sermon Notes December 17 2017″ _builder_version=”3.0.90″ background_layout=”light”]
Matthew 2: 1 – 6 (ESV)
(The Magi Are Moved To Worship. Herod Plans To Hassle) Gen 26: 1Now there was a famine in the land, besides the former famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went to Gerar to Abimelech king of the Philistines. 2And the LORD appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; dwell in the land of which I shall tell you. 3Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father. 4I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, 5because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.”
Walk Thru The Word for Today: Matthew 2: 7 – 12 (ESV)
(The Magi Worship Christ & Honor Him with Gifts)
7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.” 9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. 12 And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.
Walk Thru The Word for Today: Matthew 2: 13- 16 (ESV)
God Directs (Joseph & The Magi to Avoid Herod)
13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.” 14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, 15 where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.” 16 When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi.
17So Isaac departed from there and encamped in the Valley of Gerar and settled there.
Walk Thru The Word for Today: Matthew 2: 17- 23 (ESV)
(3 Prophecies Fulfilled About Christ)
17 Then what was said through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled: 18 “A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.”
19 After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt 20 and said, “Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child’s life are dead.” 21 So he got up, took the child and his mother and went to the land of Israel. 22 But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee, 23 and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets, that he would be called a Nazarene. [bctt tweet=”So everyone needs to hear the message of Christmas — which is Christ as come as The Savior Who Secures our Forgiveness and Freedom from the pit of Hell.” username=”LibertyCF3″]
Message map: 12–3-17 Genesis 24: 62-67 & 25: 19-34
“The Magi & Herod Represent Two Responses To The Messiah”
- The Magi Seek To Worship The Messiah
- Worship means that a lesser is acknowledging one who is greater
- The Magi worship the messiah not Mary
- Disturbed Herod Hatches Deception To Destroy The Baby Jesus
- God Protects His Jesus by Directing Joseph.
- The Magi & Herod Represent Two Contrasting Responses To Christ
- HEROD IS A WOULD BE BABY-CHRIST KILLER
- THE MAGI ARE A CHRIST WORSHIPPERS
- How All This Informs Our RESPONSES TO CHRIST TODAY (The Process of Honoring The Savior through the process of Bill Bright’s The 4 Spiritual Laws)
Matthew 2: 1 – 2 (ESV) The Magi Arrive In Jerusalem & Ask for The Messiah
Profile the Magi.
The “Magoi”, a Median tribal caste of sorcerers, magicians, wizards of Persian Zoroastrianism, sun worship.
At the time of the Gospel record, they traveled from Iran, east of Israel. Their caste probably became aware of prophecies regarding the Messiah and probably were encouraged and instructed to watch for the same through the ministry of Daniel in Babylon, when he was assigned to the magicians and enchanters – astrologers, Per Daniel 1: 20 and was identified being superior in wisdom and in dream interpretation they had. (See Dan chat. 2, and Dan 12: 3 – 3And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.)
Persian Magi astronomers, literature i the Zen Debesta speaks of a star marking the advent of the Messiah and it will occur in the sign of the virgin. Al boom Mazur lived about 88AD and speaks of the Constellation Coma related to a women nurturing a child whose name is Jesu in the Hebrew, which in Greek is Jesus.
Matthew 2: 1 -2 – The Magi Came To Jerusalem And Asked About the Messiah because …
- the star led them to Jerusalem, of which Bethlehem is a superb
- they expected everyone there to be aware of the birth of the Messiah
- God was trying to wake up the Religious leaders who knew of the prophecies about Bethlehem, but were oblivious to them being fulfilled on their shift
- In John 7:42 The religious people even touch on the subjects: John 7:42 Doesn’t the Scripture say that the Christ will come from the line of David and from Bethlehem, the village where David lived?”
- When we read the Bible as a “black” person, white person, or a democrat, or a republican, of when we open the Bible, if our premise when we read is that I’m a Jewish person or a Catholic, or a Baptist or a Pentecostal or Charismatic… etc…. then we are bringing what we think we are before god, and are saying, “This is who I am, let me see how Your Word conforms to me and my image of what life is supposed to be like from my perspective. This is why the religious people at the time of Christ missed his advent. Their premise was all wrong, and they refused to let go of their premises.
- God was giving Herod the opportunity to get right with Him and acknowledge God’s plan and worship Christ the Savior
Matthew 2: 2 (ESV) God Makes The Magi Mindful of The Messiah
The Magi acknowledge Jesus was born King of the Jews? 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews, and His Divine advent (notable arrival) is accompanied or signaled by a star that rose. Specifically for that occasion. “We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
Noah Webster’s 1828 Dictionary says, Christ will have two advents with the 1st being the coming of Christ in the flesh, and his 2nd coming to judge the world.
Some Bible readers may say there will be 3 advents, with the Rapture being the 2nd, but since Christ does not touch on earth but only has the church called up at the sound of the trumpet, I’ll give Noah Webster the benefit of a doubt on its theology.
Salvation is Of The Jews 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? (Salvation is of the Jews, and Jesus is the King of Salvation & god’s Kingdom of Saved Souls. Jn 4:22, Acts 28:28 Rom 1:16, 1 Cor 1:24)
John 4:22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship … You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews.
Acts 28:28 “Therefore I want you to know that God’s salvation has …
… “You need to know that God has sent his salvation to people who are not Jews.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the…
… It is God’s power to save everyone who believes, Jews first and Greeks as well. … Of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one…
1 Corinthians 1:24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and…
… But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles,
Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.
Revelation 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this …
… I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”. Amen
Matthew 2: 3-4 (ESV)
Disturbed Herod Hatches Deception
Vs. 3 When King Herod heard this he was DISTURBED, (agitated and stirred up trouble), and all Jerusalem with him.
Vs. 4 Herod called together all the PEOPLE’S chief priests and teachers of the law, to ask them where the Messiah was to be born, because…
- Herod was not availing himself of religious teaching, nor principles.
- The concept of “separation of church and state” gives the impression that religion is for common folk, but politicians can sin all they want and get away with it.
- Communities are better off when politicians ignore Bible teaching except only during special occasions.
- Herod’s position came from Divine Providence, so he could pick and choose when to pay attention to God.
Matthew 2: 5-6 & 16-18 (ESV) A Bit of Background On Bethlehem
Matt 2; 5-6 quotes Micah 5:2
- 5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written: 6 “ ‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.’ ”
- Micah 5:2 “But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago, from the days of eternity.”
- Bethlehem (“house of bread,”) also was known as Ephratha (fertile or fertile soil) Christ, The Bread of Life was born in Bethlehem (John 6:45 & 48)
- King David 1 Sam 17: 12-16 Now David was the son of an Ephrathite of Bethlehem in Judah, named Jesse, who had eight sons. In the days of Saul the man was already old and advanced in years. …14David was the youngest.
- Ruth 1: 2 Naomi and Ruth arrive in Bethlehem where they will be rescued by The Kinsman Redeemer. Ruth 4:3, 6, 8. The concept appears first in Deut. 18:15 & 18, and also is mentioned in Acts 3:22 & 7:37)
Deuteronomy 18:18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell … Deuteronomy 18:15 The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. …
Acts 7:37″This is the Moses who told the Israelites, ‘God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your own people.’…
Acts 3:22 For Moses said, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. …
- Genesis 35:19 Rachel dies in Bethlehem giving birth to Benjamin, The youngest of the 12 sons of Israel. Rachel travails in Bethlehem in Genesis and here in Matt chapter 2.
- Luke 2:4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. Thus Christ, the Kinsman Redeemer, Who is The bread of life is born in is born amidst travail and controversy in Bethlehem, the house of bread. .
2 Responses To The Messiah
Both the Magi & Herod heard about Christ.
The Magi humbly wanted pay homage (respect and, reverential worship; devout affection directed to the Supreme Being) to Christ
Herod hated and wanted to kill Christ.
The Magi Revered Christ. Herod saw Christ as A rival
Faith Comes by hearing Rom 10:17
Failure results from not heeding – as God holds us accountable for what we hear… People hear truth but fail to respond to it.
Someone recently insinuated Christians invented Hell as the place you go for rejecting Christ. He said, we tell people about Christ, and ask “Will you now receive Him?” And if he/she says No, then we say, “You’re going to Hell!” His attitude was “if you people don’t run around telling others about Christ, there’s no need for an alternative consequence called Hell.”
Now the problem with this concept is that Hell is a real place that not we, but God invented.
As people created by God we are wired to believe good is subject to be rewarded and evil will be punished. Rom 2 tells us all people without knowledge of the Bible or God’s law will be judged by God in the Basis Of their conscience. Since we all violate our conscience we all will be condemned.
So everyone needs to hear the message of Christmas — which is Christ as come as The Savior Who Secures our Forgiveness and Freedom from the pit of Hell.
Rom 2: 12-16 (ESV) All People Violate Their Own Conscience
Rom 2: 12-16 12For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. 14For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.
The Magi Gifts Foretell The Messiah’s Ministry
The Magi’s hearing was responded to in faith. Heb. 11: 6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards The Magi’s hearing was responded to in faith. Heb. 11: 6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards (gives recompense in keeping with His own values to) those who seek him.
Faith is the word Pistis, which indicates the belief, trust, confidence in God’s goodness the Holy Spirit works in us as God’s warranty that assures and guarantees us of the fulfillment of the revelation of Christ He births within the receptive believer (cf. 1 Jn 5:4 with Heb 11:1).
Faith (4102/pistis) always is received from God, and never generated by us.
Matt 2:10-11 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. Often in Scripture when people come it not he presence of Christ they experience joy. Thus in Luke 1:44 As Mary visits Elizabeth, both of whom are pregnant with miracle conceptions, John the Baptist leaped in Elizabeth’s womb for joy, upon being in the presence of Christ, though he was yet in the womb.
11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. (not Mary!) [bctt tweet=”Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold — to acknowledge Him as King, Frankincense to symbolize the incense, of His priestly Divinity) and myrrh, a crushed fragrant resin for embalmment, signifying His bitter tasting death that will leave the sweetest aroma for the entire world. ” username=”LibertyCF3″]
Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold — to acknowledge Him as King, Frankincense to symbolize the incense, of His priestly Divinity) and myrrh, a crushed fragrant resin for embalmment, signifying His bitter tasting death that will leave the sweetest aroma for the entire world.
Faith Comes by Hearing Rom 10:17 Hearers vs. Doers
Herod’s hearing was responded to with selfish ambition to safeguard his own position.
Herod’s concern was what Christ would mean to his temporary earthly position, particularly his throne for which he exchanged all eternity to maintain.
To maintain his carnal position, he sought to attack Christ!
The 4 spiritual laws explain the process of achieving god’s amazing plan in our lives. God loves you and offers an amazing plan for your life. The Process to giving Christ 1st Position in our lives …
- God’s Love — 16“For God so loved the world,i that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16 ESV)
- Christ says in John 10:10, “I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly” [that it might be full and meaningful].
- Our sin separates us from God, undermining our sense of God’s love and blinding us to God’s plan for our lives. (Rom 3:23 says, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”.
- Man was created to have fellowship with God; but, because of his own stubborn self-will, he chose to go his own independent way and fellowship with God was broken. This self-will, characterized by an attitude of active rebellion or passive indifference, is an evidence of what the Bible calls sin.
- Ultimate Death & Separation Results in Us Going To Hell — Rom 6:23 “The wages of sin is death”
- Jesus Christ is God’s only provision to bridge the gap for man’s sin. Through Him you can know and experience God’s love and plan for your life.
- “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12).
- “By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as result of works that no one should boast” (Ephesians 2:8,9).
- “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him” (Revelation 3:20).
- Receiving Christ involves turning to God from self (repentance) and trusting Christ to come into our lives to forgive our sins and to make us what He wants us to be. Just to agree intellectually that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died on the cross for our sins is not enough. Nor is it enough to have an emotional experience. We receive Jesus Christ by faith, as an act of the will.
- We Must Receive Christ “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12).
- “By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as result of works that no one should boast” (Ephesians 2:8,9).
- John 3:1-8 explains it is possible to be reborn through the Spirit of Christ. At conception we become are eternal spirits housed in our temporary flesh.
The Wisest Still seek & worship Christ Throne Pic / Diagram
Let Lord Jesus Occupy The Throne of Your Life
Is Christ Jesus Lord of Your Life!
Is Christ Informing Your Daily Decisions?
Are Our Daily Decisions Conforming To Christ’s Direction
Graphic is from CRU Website https://crustore.org/fourlawseng.htm
Christ is the Lord of life
Christ Is the Lord of Those Who Profess/Declare Him
Christ not only is “King of the Jews” but Lord of all of life.
Lord means he is lord, master, sir; the Lord, who exercises absolute ownership rights.
To maintain his temporal carnal position, Herod sought to attack Christ.
Our challenge is to come to God on His terms, which Romans 10:9 tell us requires: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart (the center of our character and inner self) that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
So Salvation is dependent upon audibly publicly declaring, professing, acknowledging, agreeing with and praising God. (Mt 10:32 & Lk 12:8)
Mt 10:32 — So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven,
Lk 12:8 — “And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God,
So what is our response to Christ?
Do we confess and declare?
Let’s ask God to work on our hearts and make us the kind of people in whom He continues to work to bring us to the plan where
Loving God Most Means…
Praying to entrust ourselves to God’s grace and power to conform us into the image of Christ! [email-download-link namefield=”YES” id=”204″]