Walk Thru The Word Gen 2: 1-3
1Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 3So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.
Ex 20: 8–11 8“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. 11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Command 5 =, Honor your mother and father comes next – as children need to honor their parents who want to take them to church.
Ex 31: 12-14 – 12And the LORD said to Moses, 13“You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify (purify, consecrate and make you holy in my sight) you. 14You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
Ex 31: 15-17 – 15Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. 16Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever.
17It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”
Regarding manna, Exodus 16: 26 says, “Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, which is a Sabbath, there will be none” (for you to work & gather). All These Verses Prohibit WORKING on the Sabbath – To Communicate “Works” contribute nothing to our salvation!
Leviticus 26:43 (ESV) But the land shall be abandoned by them and enjoy its Sabbaths while it lies desolate without them, and they shall make amends for their iniquity, because they spurned my rules and their soul abhorred my statutes. Leviticus 26:43 KJV The land also shall be left of them, and shall enjoy her Sabbaths, while she lieth desolate without them: and they shall accept of the punishment of their iniquity: because, even because they despised my judgments, and because their soul abhorred my statutes.
MESSAGE MAP: GENESIS 1: 1-31 & PSALM 8 We Reflect The Sabbath By Resting Right
1) The Sabbath That Celebrates Creation Christ Practiced Serving God On The Sabbath. Luke 4:16, & 13:10, Mk 1:21, 3:1,
2) The Sabbath Was Made To Serve Man – As Serving People Has Precedence Over Practicing Ceremony.
3) Jesus Asserted His Lordship Over The Sabbath.
4) True Disciples Serve God from an Attitude of Gratitude in Sabbath Rest (Heb 4: 9)
- Manna symbolizes CHRIST, God’s Bread of Life John 6:33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” (John 6:35, 48, 51)
- The trial of FAITH is people must OBEY, as every miracle involves an object lesson of revealing or foreshadowing Christ.
- Exodus 16: 4 “Behold, I am about to rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in my law or not (NLT – see whether or not they will follow my instructions.)
Christ OBSERVED (fulfilled or complied with) going to Synagogue on the Sabbath.
- Luke 4:16- And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read.
- Luke 13:10, Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath.
- Mark 1:21, And they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and was teaching.
- Mark 3:1, Again he entered the synagogue …
Christ SERVED God on the Sabbath, Christ served God within the life-affirming and life-giving Holy Spirit’s power on the Sabbath
- Luke 4: 16 – 30 Jesus went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day and read from Isaiah and proclaimed Himself as its subject and reference point and the people wanted to throw Him off a cliff. Only Christ as God is qualified to judge and take vengeance. Vengeance is mine, says the Lord.
- Luke 13:10, On the Sabbath, Jesus was teaching and healed a woman who had had a disabling spirit that had bent her over so she could not fully straighten herself – for eighteen years.
”The Sabbath Was Made To SERVE Man. Christ Resisted those who added man-made “Religious” RULES for The Sabbath.
- Christ Defended Disciples who dined on The Sabbath, which is so important 3 Gospels record it:
1) Matt 12:1-8
2) Mark 2: 23-26
3) Luke 6:1-4
Walk Thru Word:
Christ Is Lord of the Sabbath and the People God Loves Have Precedence over Ceremonial Commands that were designed to point people to Christ as explained in Matt 12:1-8,
1At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2But when the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.” 3He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, and those who were with him: 4how he entered the house of God and ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him to eat nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?
Christ Defended Disciples who dined on The Sabbath Matt 12:1-8, Mark 2: 23-26, Luke 6:1- 4
5Or have you not read in the Law how on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath and are guiltless? 6I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. 7And if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.”Christ Is Lord of the Sabbath and the People God Loves Have Precedence over Ceremonial Commands that were designed to point people to Christ as explained in Matt 12:1-8, Click To Tweet
The Sabbath-Rest is not about rules to RESTRICT man.
- Priest Partook on the Sabbath and did not PROFANE (walk past a threshold (exceed the boundary) without proper authorization, such as a person entering a sacred temple who is unauthorized or unfit) God’s statute because they served in support of administering Sabbath requirements to others.
- Profane the Sabbath – He referred them to the conduct of the priests also. On the Sabbath days they were engaged, as well as on other days, in killing beasts for sacrifice, Numbers 28:9-10. Two lambs were killed on the Sabbath, in addition to the daily sacrifice. The priests worked killing and preparing the them, and making fires to burn them in sacrifice, Priests also prepared the “two tenths of an ephah of fine flour for a grain offering, mixed with oil, and its drink offering: 10this is the burnt offering of every Sabbath, besides the regular burnt offering and its drink offering.
- So Priest did 3 times the work on the Sabbath.
On the Sabbath people have precedence over ceremony
- Priest prepared sacrifices on the Sabbath (Num 28: 9-10)
- Circumcision occurred on the Sabbath. (Lev 12:3 & John 7:22-23). • David are showbread (Sam 21:6)
- Disciples dined (Mk 3:1-5, Mt 12:8-14 Luke 13:10-17
- Jesus rebuked religious leaders for opposing hearings on the Sabbath
1 Peter 2:5 & 9 5you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellences of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Our role as BELIEVER-priests is to serve Christ, from a proper perspective on the rest that Grace provides, which is that our service honors what God has done through the Cross. We are in no means ritualistically “working” add anything to the salvation Work God did through Christ on the Cross. Thinking we do so profanes the Sabbath-rest of salvation, God has provided through Christ.
- Walk Thru Word: Hebrews 4: 6—7 6Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, 7again he appoints a certain day, “Today,” saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.”
- Hebrews 4:1-3 1Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, God rested from His Creative Work while what He provides still WORKS for us. When Christ proclaims He is LORD of the Sabbath He distinguishes…
- The Ceremonial aspects of Sabbath law were fulfilled at His Advent (incarnation), Death, Burial & Resurrection, and thus no longer are in effect.
- What God provides SUSTAINS us. Everything God provided in Genesis is still replenishing and is available to sustain us today.
- Christ FINISHED-work on the Cross sustains salvation for all time.
- Hebrews 4;10 . 1Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.3For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said,
Loving God Most Means Respecting & Resting In His Creative Love We honor God by …
- believing His Word that He Created in 6 Days.
- trusting in God’s light of Salvation despite our past performance.
- asking God to work in us to overcome our insecurities about representing Him as The Loving Creator.
- letting God position our hearts, minds and lives so He can shine through us to others.
- Resting in the Confidence that He who began a good work in us will complete it. (Phil 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.)